If you want you family photography Newmarket session to go well, it is vital that you prepare in advance. Most people book a studio or a photographer and then on the day of, simply show up. When they end up with family portraits that are far from perfect they wonder how they got it all so wrong. The truth is that if they went in better prepared, they would have got perfect pictures. Here are tips to help you prepare. Remember, you are the one who knows your family’s particular needs so these are just general guidelines.
• Make sure that everyone knows about the family portrait at least a week in advance. This will give time to anyone who is not for the idea to come around. It will also give you time to convince anyone who may need convincing. Some parents don’t tell very young kids because they think that it doesn’t matter anyway. It does because it gives you a chance to explain what a family portrait is and why they must be on their best behavior.
• Make sure that everyone is fed before you go in for a shoot. It takes quite a bit to get a good family portrait. In addition to that, there may be other families ahead of you which means that you have to wait. If even one person is hungry it can ruin your photos – hungry almost always results in cranky. If you have kids carry along some snacks and some aprons that they don’t ruin their clothes when they eat.
• If some of your kids are reluctant to come for the photo shoot it helps if you give them a choice of what they can wear. Most times they feel that grown ups are making them wear dorky clothes and that is why they refuse to participate in family portraits. Unless the clothes that they choose are completely out of the question you should allow them to wear something that they like.
• Dress for the weather – in other words, dress for comfort. Photo shoots can easily turn ugly if you insist on wearing the wrong kind of clothing. If you insist on a beach look in the winter, you will be too cold to take your photos. If you insist on everyone wearing a stuffy suit in summer weather, they will soon be too hot to participate. Make sure that you choose clothes that are comfortable for everyone.
• Bribe your kids if you have to. Family portraits don’t happen every day so use whatever is at your disposal to get them to cooperate. If they have to go for ice cream afterward it is okay – you will have the perfect family portrait by then.